Buying a new sofa can be a daunting task, with so many colours, styles and designs on the market it's hard to know which purchase is the right one for you and your home. Perhaps one of the biggest decisions to make when picking out a new sofa will be whether you choose to go with leather or fabric. Both of these sofa coverings offer differing advantages and disadvantages, so it's extremely important to think of your home, your lifestyle and your family when thinking of which one is best suited to your house.
Here at Impala Sofas, if you have browsed our range of sofas, chairs and beanbags, you will know that we are big advocates of fabric, especially when they are covered with our revolutionary Impala Fabrics! But why do we love fabric sofas so much? We've compiled some of the top benefits of buying a fabric sofa:
- When you choose a fabric sofa, there is a much larger variety of colours and patterns available to you. When there is more variety, there is a greater chance that you will find a style that fits your personal taste and home colour scheme.
- Fabric sofas are the perfect choice for those who prefer a more inviting and 'cosy' home style. Nothing says curl up on me with a book, like a soft velvety fabric sofa! A fabric sofa is equally as comfortable in the summer as it is in the winter.
- A lot of fabric sofas have removable and washable covers, ensuring they are kept looking fresh and clean. Here at Impala, our sofas are stain-resistant, easily cleanable and exceptionally durable - making them a perfect choice for the family home or those with pets.
- Fabric sofas offer a lot more variety when it comes to your budget. Leather sofas almost always cost more than fabric sofas.
Despite the advantages of a fabric sofa, we know very well that this choice will not suit every home and family - with many people actually preferring the look of a leather sofa over a fabric sofa. However, just in case you're still on the fence, we'd like to dispell some ideas about the fabric sofa and why it 'won't work for you':
- "Fabrics can easily be ruined by stains and spills" - Our Impala Sofas are stain-resistant and easily cleanable, meaning that whatever you throw at them, from red wine to pen, our revolutionary fabrics will handle it (take a look at our Youtube videos if you don't believe us!).
- "I can't have a fabric sofa now that we have children" - We believe that families should still be able to have the sofa of their dreams, even with those sticky fingers around! Our contemporary furniture designs bring style into a home whilst maintaining the utmost practicality.
- "I will have to sell my sofa if the pattern or colour becomes outdated" - Colours and styles often go out-of-trend, however, you should always keep this in mind when buying your new sofa. With a fabric sofa, if you love the design but have fallen out of love with the pattern, you have the option to upholster it with new fabric - this is a great way to save money and reduce waste.
Still want to hear about the advantages and disadvantages of a leather sofa?
- Leather sofas are renowned for being easy clean, a damp cloth will easily pick up spills
- Often more durable and long-lasting - so much so that they are sometimes passed down through generations as heirlooms.
- Leather sofas have a air of elegance and sophistication to them. From the sets of old movies and Manor homes, this unique look is undoubtedly hard to replicate with a fabric sofa.
- Although leather is known for being durable, leather sofas often become scratched easily, especially with household pets. Leaving unsightly scratches and punctures on the surface.
- A leather sofa is not inviting. The texture is cold in winter months, and will usually have to be covered with a throw or blanket.
- Leather sofas are restricted by way of style, colour and pattern choices.
- In the summer, leather sofas may be very uncomfortable to sit on. They can become extremely hot and sticky, especially where bare legs and arms are concerned!
- In an era where sofas are deep and wide for maximum comfort, leather sofas remain stiff and limited in space.
We hope we have helped you in your quest for the perfect sofa! We are sure that be it leather or fabric, your new sofa will be a sight to behold in your home. If you would like to look at our fabric sofas, feel free to browse, buy or email us with any questions you may have.